Local event spotlights voices of FC students

Every year the Honors Transfer Council of California aims to grow in size and quality, to open more doors for the participating students from California community colleges.

Honor students were given the opportunity to present their academic research this past Saturday and this year, 22 students from Fullerton College presented their work. The conference features community colleges from all over California. The Fullerton College group is one of the largest groups accepted into the conference.

FC honor students ,This photo was provded by Jodi Balma,
Fullerton College Honor students pose for a photo at the HTCC conference

Each student presented their research on a particular subject or discipline. The presentations were divided into three different oral presentation sessions. The event also included poster presentations, which were displayed together in one room allowing for open discussions among presenters and guests.

This event also awarded different scholarships to students. FC student, Lisa Haygood was awarded the Exemplary Achievement Award which gives up to 20 people $250 per award.

Haygood gave an oral presentation about the types of communication used by professionals when dealing with sexual abuse victims, specifically in teens and children. She also presented a poster arguing for reforms needed in our election and campaign finance laws.

“I love these research conferences. They give me such a boost of energy about research, learning and such a feeling of comraderie,” Haygood said.

Honor students presenting their academic research will be able to distinguish themselves from other applicants on their transcripts by taking part in this conference. Students also get to practice on their public speaking skills and learn from the other participating students.

Jodi Balma, president of the HTCC, said, “Research is the coin of the realm in academia and the opportunity to present their [honors students] research in their freshman or sophomore years really puts them ahead of their peers at universities where most research conferences are for juniors and seniors or graduate students.”

The audience at each presentation was made up of family and even professors who had the ability to question the students on their research.

Honor student Paz Carisa Fluornoy presented on the subject of Legislating Bloodlines and said that she loved the exposure and the chance to learn about the many different topics by examining other’s reasearch. She had already been accepted into various universities and plans on taking this practice with her to keep excelling in her further studies.

Students interested in joining the Honors Program can apply in the Honors Office, Room 225. Applications for next year’s HTCC Conference will be accepted in November 2014.