Disney Aspire looks to Inspire Hornets

The Disney Aspire Program made an appearance on campus last week, informing students of a chance to have the entertainment giant pay for their schooling and receive a job at the Disneyland Resort.

Aspire is an internal part of Disney that works with a third party educational company, named Guild, to handle enrollment and student coaching while Disney handles tuition costs.

Disney Aspire worker Cheyenne Greenwood helps a student understand about the Disney Aspire program at Fullerton College on Wednesday, Oct. 5
Disney Aspire representative Cheyenne Greenwood helps a student understand about job opportunities at Disneyland during the job fair event at Fullerton College on Wednesday, Oct. 5 Photo credit: Matthew Gonzalez

Disney Aspire is a new program at the college, but not necessarily a new concept. Dean of Technology and Engineering Ken Starkman, largely responsible for securing this program at FC, said there have been many Hornets already working for Disney since its opening, “Disneyland has thousands of employees working just a short distance from Fullerton College. We have had cast members coming to Fullerton College very likely since Disneyland opened in 1955.”

Fullerton College sent out a press release in July that Disney was adding Fullerton College for the first time and Cal State Fullerton to its Aspire program. These are the only local schools to be chosen, but current cast members are open to joining the program as well.

A student named Brianna Landeros gets her job interview by Disney Aspire worker Rachel Higginotham at the Disneyland job fair event at Fullerton College on Wednesday, Oct. 5
Student Brianna Landeros gets her job interview by Disney Aspire employee Rachel Higginotham at the Disneyland job fair event at Fullerton College on Wednesday, Oct. 5 Photo credit: Matthew Gonzalez

“I think it is a great opportunity for people who want to work, attend college, and learn,” said Starkman. “If Disney Aspire is committed for up to $11,000 in education benefits a year to a cast member and if we consider how many Aspire cast members are attending Fullerton College, I figure Disney just made about a $2.5 million commitment if you look at the numbers. To me, that is significant.”

As perfect as this program sounds, it would be naive to ignore where Disney has come up short on the employment side. According to the recent documentary, The American Dream and Other Fairy Tales, Abigail Disney (granddaughter to Roy Disney and great niece to Walt Disney), reported one out of every ten cast members had been homeless at some point during their employment and two-thirds of cast members could not afford to eat without food stamps or their premiums on their medical insurance. It is not uncommon for couples working full-time at Disneyland to fall below the poverty level.

With the cost of living on the rise and the job market as competitive as ever, Starkman spoke to taking advantage of programs like Aspire Disney when Fullerton College can offer them, “Many other companies in our college district offer education benefits. College students may not understand that many employers offer education benefits and encourage degree completion,” Starkman said. “We know that student loan debt has topped a trillion dollars, so why is there not more emphasis on earn and learn employment? The idea of work and attending school might sound challenging for some, however, working for an employer that pays education benefits can be beneficial in many ways.”

About the Contributor
Jake Rhodes
Jake Rhodes, Editor-in-Chief
Jake Rhodes is the Editor-in-Chief for The Hornet Newspaper. He has been on The Hornet Newspaper for four semesters. He is a seven-time award winning journalist. He has received second place in Sports Game Story as well as Meritorious recognition in Enterprise News Story/Series for an investigation into Title IX concerns at Fullerton College from JACC. Jake is also a national CMA Pinnacle award winner, receiving first place in Sports Multimedia Story, second place in Sports Investigative Story, and Honorable Mention for Sports Game Story. He has also received an honorable mention as producer of Around the Hornet for Audio Podcast and a third place finish as a contributor for Audio Podcast from JACC. While he has served as EIC, Jake is responsible for The Hornet securing an ACP Online Pacemaker award, which has been referred to as the "Pulitzer of college media." The Hornet has also been recognized for "General Excellence: Online News Site" by JACC in both semesters Jake has served as EIC. He was also elected to be the new JACC SoCal Student Representative for all JACC members in Southern California for 2024-2025. Outside of The Hornet, Jake is an assistant coach with the Varsity Boys' basketball team at Fullerton Union High School and is also a bartender at Lucille's Smokehouse BBQ. His end goal in Journalism is to be a beat writer for an MLB or NBA team or a sportscaster. Jake enjoys spending time with his wife Alexis, daughters Samantha, Madison, and dog Cocoa.