Hornets Attack Corsairs in Second Half to Secure 18-Point Victory

A Kobe getting buckets at an elite level? Tell us where you’ve heard that one before. The Hornets sophomore guard Kobe Newton was on fire Wednesday night. He did almost everything to help Fullerton get the win, 81-63.

Freshman guard Jeremiah Davis slams it home during Wednesday's Nov. 23, 2022, home game against Santa Monica College.
Freshman guard Jeremiah Davis slams it home during Wednesday’s Nov. 23, 2022, home game against Santa Monica College. Photo credit: Matthew Gonzalez

Newton scored 25 points to lead all scorers on Thanksgiving Eve. From converting all of his “and-one’s,” he was eight out of eight from the line. Making three 3-pointers, and securing six rebounds, Newton stuffed the stat sheet against the Corsairs.

When asked how locked in he was, Newton remained humble. “I was just trying to knock down open shots my teammates were creating for me. I’m not trying to do too much, just let the game come to me.”

Freshman forward Mike Ofoegbu scores a two pointer during the first half at Wednesday's Nov. 23, 2022, home game against Santa Monica College.
Freshman forward Mike Ofoegbu scores a two pointer during the first half at Wednesday’s Nov. 23, 2022, home game against Santa Monica College. Photo credit: Matthew Gonzalez

Coach Perry Webster was happy with Newton’s performance, but he spoke as if this was not a shocking outcome to him. “We know Kobe can make shots, but the thing he’s doing is being very efficient. He just needs to continue to play that way, and he’ll be successful.”

After an ugly first half that saw the game tied at 36-36, the Hornets turned it on in the second half on both ends of the floor. The Hornets forced Santa Monica to shoot 35% from the field and only 28% from 3-point territory.

Freshman guard Sean Newman Jr. surveys the floor while being guarded by sophomore center Quinn Collins during the final minutes of Wednesday's Nov. 23, 2022, home game against Santa Monica College.
Freshman guard Sean Newman Jr. surveys the floor while being guarded by sophomore center Quinn Collins during the final minutes of Wednesday’s Nov. 23, 2022, home game against Santa Monica College. Photo credit: Matthew Gonzalez

The big sequence of the night occurred around the 16:30 mark of the second half. First, freshman guard Sean Newman Jr. lobbed a rim rattling alley-oop to 6’11 sophomore center Sammy Howlin, who had gotten behind his defender. On the next defensive run, Howlin blocked an attempted layup from Corsair’s freshman point guard Barry Wilds Jr. Off that blocked shot, Newman outlet passed to freshman forward Jeremiah Davis, who threw down another high-flying dunk. The energy in the gym was instantly electric.

While the offense was strong, the defense put on by the Hornets that evening was unimpressive. “We’re not defending and rebounding at the rate that we need in order to be successful as the season moves on, and we need to fix it,” said Webster.

Sophomore guard Javon Jones aims to score through contact during Wednesday's Nov. 23, 2022, home game against Santa Monica College.
Sophomore guard Javon Jones aims to score through contact during Wednesday’s Nov. 23, 2022 home game against Santa Monica College. Photo credit: Matthew Gonzalez

The Hornets did not lose many statistical categories, but they were out-rebounded 46-39, which in turn had them lose the second chance points battle 19-10. It seemed that Santa Monica would go in waves of trying to force their way inside and use their height advantage against Fullerton.

Sophomore guard Shaquil Bender added 15 points, Davis chipped in 12 points, and Newman Jr. only managed 2 points in the scorer’s column but was still in complete command of the offense with 9 assists and 0 turnovers.

Sophomore forward Daniel Akitoby had a double-double for the Corsairs with 15 points and 12 rebounds. Sophomore center Quinn Collins also added 15 points in the losing effort.

The Hornets (7-0) next match up is back on the road against San Bernardino Valley College (2-2) at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 29.

About the Contributor
Jake Rhodes
Jake Rhodes, Editor-in-Chief
Jake Rhodes is the Editor-in-Chief for The Hornet Newspaper. He has been on The Hornet Newspaper for four semesters. He is a seven-time award winning journalist. He has received second place in Sports Game Story as well as Meritorious recognition in Enterprise News Story/Series for an investigation into Title IX concerns at Fullerton College from JACC. Jake is also a national CMA Pinnacle award winner, receiving first place in Sports Multimedia Story, second place in Sports Investigative Story, and Honorable Mention for Sports Game Story. He has also received an honorable mention as producer of Around the Hornet for Audio Podcast and a third place finish as a contributor for Audio Podcast from JACC. While he has served as EIC, Jake is responsible for The Hornet securing an ACP Online Pacemaker award, which has been referred to as the "Pulitzer of college media." The Hornet has also been recognized for "General Excellence: Online News Site" by JACC in both semesters Jake has served as EIC. He was also elected to be the new JACC SoCal Student Representative for all JACC members in Southern California for 2024-2025. Outside of The Hornet, Jake is an assistant coach with the Varsity Boys' basketball team at Fullerton Union High School and is also a bartender at Lucille's Smokehouse BBQ. His end goal in Journalism is to be a beat writer for an MLB or NBA team or a sportscaster. Jake enjoys spending time with his wife Alexis, daughters Samantha, Madison, and dog Cocoa.