‘Interwoven’ relates human life to its viewers in new art gallery

Interwoven, a new art exhibition featuring the work of artists Ann Weber and Jason Keam, opened Thursday, filling Fullerton College’s art gallery with intricate shapes and abstract designs.

“This is the first time we have gotten to work with sculptures this large so seeing them come in was just amazing and the paintings are just so abstract,” said Sheri Meinburg, a studio and art history major at Fullerton. “They keep you looking and guessing and thinking ‘Wow, what else can I see that’s new in them.'”

A student observes Ann Weber&squot;s sculpture called "You Don&squot;t Need a Weatherman to Know Which Way the Wind Blows" on October 27 2022.
A student observes Ann Weber's sculpture called "You Don't Need a Weatherman to Know Which Way the Wind Blows" at the Interwoven art gallery on Oct. 27, 2022. Photo credit: Sara Leon

Every painting and sculpture exudes a personality of its own. Weber’s work being massive in size, feels like every piece is speaking to a different stage or walks of life that people lead. Keam’s artwork is like a punch in the face at first glance. The wild designs and colors, almost Picasso-like, seem to take on their own persona while viewing them, as a glimpse of a face or a hand can be seen if you look closely.

“I didn’t choose Fullerton College, Fullerton College chose me,” said Weber, “I really love to show my work at colleges because it gives me a chance to talk to students that are aspiring artists. I think it’s really important for them to see as much art as they can and talk to as many artists as they can because it really helped me to grow when I was an art student.”

Two students talk and observe Jason Keam&squot;s art-piece titled "Talking to Strangers" on October 27 2022.
Two students talk and observe Jason Keam's art-piece titled "Talking to Strangers" at the Interwoven art gallery reception on Oct. 27 2022. Photo credit: Sara Leon

While the two artists work seem to come together in this impressionistic exhibition, their journeys couldn’t be more different from each other.

Weber got her start working with ceramics and while working with artist Viola Frey, took inspiration and influence in the massive scale of their art. Cardboard has allowed her to make her huge art-pieces, having them be lightweight while also being easier to work with than clay.

“The sculptures feel like the rudiments of piñata making,” said student Angel Valencia. “I thought that it’s interesting how the concept was brought out in a different form of art without the decorations on it, just the shell of the piñata.”

Angel Valencia observes Ann Weber&squot;s sculpture named "Miracles and Wonder" on October 27 2022.
Angel Valencia observes Ann Weber's sculpture named "Miracles and Wonder" at the Interwoven art gallery on Oct, 27 2022. Photo credit: Sara Leon

Keam got his start in animation and visual effects. He has a huge influence in the Long Beach art scene and has since created murals not only for the city of Long Beach, but around the world.

“I think that this gallery is something that the students of Fullerton College haven’t seen before,” says Meinburg. “It’s definitely different from our student and faculty art shows. It’s even different than our past featured artists. This is so abstract that I think it will feel very different and feel very unexpected to the students.”

A woman observes Ann Weber&squot;s sculpture titled "Thrill Me" on October 27 2022.
A woman observes Ann Weber's sculpture titled "Thrill Me" at the Interwoven art gallery reception on Oct. 27, 2022. Photo credit: Sara Leon

The exhibition will be open from Oct. 27 through Nov. 28 giving students a month to see memories and human experiences in the eyes of Weber and Keam. You can see the gallery from Monday through Thursday from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. or 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. each week until it closes.

About the Contributor
Sara Leon
Sara Leon, Managing Editor
Sara Leon is the Managing Editor for The Hornet and has been on the newspaper for four semesters.  She is a four-time award winning student journalist. Sara has won second place in ACP Best of Show- Broadcast Feature Story and fourth place in Critical Review from JACC for her review and corresponding video of the indie film "Nowhere." She also has earned honorable mention awards from JACC for Profile Feature Story covering a 12-year old student at Fullerton College and Audio Podcast as the producer of Around the Hornet. While Managing Editor in Spring 2023, The Hornet finished seventh place in ACP Best of Show for Website, 2-year campus and received recognition for General Excellence: Online News Site from JACC. From 2023-2024, Sara was also the JACC Student Representative for all community college journalism students in Southern California that are memebers of JACC. Sara enjoys exploring, watching scary movies, and learning about new things. Her end goal in the journalism field is to become a news anchor for ABC Eyewitness News.