FC Men In Heels, Taking Stand For Women

Originally written for publishing on April 24, 2013.

“Slip On” replaced “Suit Up” for men as Fullerton College professors and students slipped on heels to walk for an important human rights issue on campus last Tuesday, April 16th.

“Walk in Her Shoes” was a new event that was held this year in the Fullerton College Quad that gathered many students and participants. Both genders were welcomed to walk around campus during this event to raise awareness and funds towards victims of rape, sexual assault, and gender violence.

“This is an issue that affects both genders. 85 percent of domestic violence victims are women and 15 percent of them are men” said Art Motta, President of the Political Science Student Association that sponsored this event.

The funds raised were divided and distributed towards the Holly McCrary Foundation and Community Service Programs. Holly McCrary, an FC student and a victim of violence, has recounted her horrifying story after she was stabbed over twenty times by her former boyfriend on December 10th, 2011. McCrary fought the 1 percent chance of survival doctors gave her and was standing strong at the event as survivor in the face of adversity.

CSP, is a forty-year standing non-profit agency committed to serving youth, adults, and families living in Orange County who are involved or are at-risk of involvement with the justice system. According to the organization’s website, www.cspinc.org, CSP has grown to serve Orange County with respected prevention and intervention programs that have assisted over 111,000 people a year. They serve abused children, victims of crime, struggling families, acting out of adolescents, and people in need of mediation services.

Sexual assault, domestic violence, and stalking are significant issues facing women today and according to a Campus Sexual Assault Study conducted by the U.S. Department of Justice, 1 in 5 women will be the victim of attempted or completed sexual assault during her college years.

“This is an event to raise money and awareness, but as a father of two daughters and having many sisters, I was really impacted by the statisics”, said Professor Brandon Floerke who participated in the event by walking in hot pink heels.

Jose Solano, 25, is an FC student and an active member of PSSA who walked tall at this event as well in heels.

“It’s impacting because it is out of the norm and when it is in the norm, people think of drag queens,” Solano said, “but when you take a conscious decision to put female shoes on for something you truly believe in, it’s taking a stand and saying this is the struggle and women are not alone in it”.