Fullerton College introduces students to a new semester with the Welcome Fair

To start the new year, resource groups gathered in the quad to provide information about the many options available to students.
Jose Vazquez
Students participate in screen printing at printing technology booth at Fullerton College’s Welcome Fair on Tuesday August 29, 2023.

The college career experience can be an intimidating experience for all students, be it first or fourth year. Struggles can include money, food, health, money and the one we have all dealt with, finding our class.

Multiple Fullerton College students were offered career opportunities and financial support programs as they passed by the college’s Welcome Fair on Tuesday, Aug. 29 in the main quad on campus.

The fair hosted several campus departments and programs, such as EOPS, The Career Center, the engineering programs and many others, all of whom offered their careers and services to any student who stopped by their tents.

“We assist students with their career and educational goals, offer money for books, EOPS academic counselors, we assist with transfers, help with application fees, [and] we help them with everything they need to transfer to a university,” said Andre Strong, EOPS Coordinator at Fullerton College.

Andre Strong EOPS Coordinator spins the wheel with student at Fullerton College’s Welcome Fair on August 29, 2023. (Jose Vazquez)

The Career Center introduced students to major exploration resources, career counseling, professional development for the workforce, and most recently a portal called “Handshake” which allows them to find positions on and off campus. They were also displaying their career closet called “The Hanger” which allows students access to free professional clothing.

“As long as students are enrolled in one class they have access to six points which allows them access to free professional clothing, shoes, accessories, and hygiene products,” said Rabia Kahn Program Coordinator for the Career Center at Fullerton College.

Many students were enthusiastic and curious, crowding around the tents. Some claimed these services to be helpful for them. First year entrepreneurship student Tiana Thomas showed interest in the screen printing booth with department coordinator for printing technology, Benjamin Cuatt.

“I didn’t know about the career closet, the screen printing; I wouldn’t have found out about everything without this event. This event allowed me to meet new people and actually mingle within the school and find out about everything they provide,” Thomas said. “It actually makes me feel better because before this I was going through cancer treatment for three years so it was very overwhelming to merge back into life… I think that this event really helped me settle my nerves. EOPS intrigued me the most because they have counselors of their own and grants for books.”

Tiana Thomas first year entrepreneurship student talks to art department coordinator Benjamin Cuatt at Fullerton College’s Welcome Fair on August 29, 2023. (Jose Vazquez)

Second year Kinesiology major Virginia Wiernucki explains how she loves the resources that are provided at Fullerton College like the food bank that provides help with not only food, but as well as shelter and employment.

“I’m a single mom and I struggle with paying bills or being able to feed them. The Food Bank helps take the stress off me so I can focus on school. I really love it here,” Wiernucki said.

Fullerton College will offer students to join college’s clubs at a similar event called Club Rush
set to happen on Sept. 6 in the Cruz Reynoso Courtyard.