Game Preview: Fullerton prepares for a battle of the unbeatens

The Hornets look to stay perfect at Sherbeck Field when they take on the Huskies of ELAC on Saturday afternoon.
Cesar Garcia
Hornets prepare for kickoff returns ahead of matchup with the Huskies on Wednesday, Sept. 13, 2023.

The Hornets have bolted out to a great start defeating Santa Barbara and the College of the Canyons by multiple scores. They look to continue this dominance against East Los Angeles College.

“I’m happy for the guys. You know, anytime you win – winnings really hard. Obviously, we won the first game, and it was a tough one at home against a good opponent,” said head coach Garrett Campbell. “And then we go on the road, and anytime you win a road game that’s a good thing too. So, I’m really happy with where we’re at and we have a lot, a lot of improvements to make and a lot of fixing to do, but I’m really happy with where we currently stand.”

Hornets practicing key concept routes
ahead of their matchup with the Huskies on Wednesday, Sept. 13, 2023. (Cesar Garcia)

Hornets sophomore quarterback Brandon Nunez has been everything as advertised, averaging 181 yards per game with a pass efficiency of 107.1. He attributes the offensive success to its’ great rushing game.

“If it’s me, or Garnett, Elvis… running the ball, we got to make sure that we’re gaining yards and make them have to commit to the run game to open up the pass game,” said Nunez.

The Hornets have three players in the triple digits for rushing yards so far in just two games, so it’s safe to say this team can really run the ball, averaging 192.5 yards per game.

The Hornets have turned the ball over eight times in the first two games of the season which is a problem Campbell plans to fix, as turnovers can be what separates the good teams from the great ones.

With the upcoming game against the Huskies, the Hornets prepare to make sure the offensive and defensive lines are up to par before this matchup. The Huskies have also won their first two games of the season; averaging 35 points per game.

The Hornets consider slowing down the Huskies high octane rushing attack the most important key to the game. So far, the Huskies have averaged 171 yards on the ground.

“Defensively, I think we do need to stop the run, they do a great job of rushing the ball. They have a talented quarterback and some talented receivers along with a talented offensive line,” Campbell said.

Hornets look to sharpen up defensively ahead of their matchup with the Huskies on Wednesday, Sept. 13, 2023. (Cesar Garcia)

The Huskies trot out sophomore quarterback Trilian Harris who is mostly known for his involvement in the nationally known high school scandal of Bishop Sycamore.

Harris isn’t off to the ideal start completing just 48% of his passes while throwing for 298 yards in total in the first two games, but it’s gotten the job done for Huskies.

Despite having won 2 games so far, Nunez stays humble and continues to have a “1-0 mindset”.

“We’re taking it one game at a time. Our game plan is to hope we succeed and come out victorious again,” said Nunez.

The Hornets look to sit the Huskies down at home as kickoff is set for 12 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 16 at Sherbeck Field.