Kim Snow brought the spooky version of his 2016 Dodge Charger to the Curisin to College car show on Saturday, Sept. 30, 2023.
Kim Snow brought the spooky version of his 2016 Dodge Charger to the “Curisin’ to College” car show on Saturday, Sept. 30, 2023.
Cesar Garcia

“Cruisin’ To College” car show showcases community and car culture at Fullerton College

Fullerton College ends the month with its first ever “Cruisin’ to College” car show and resource fair Saturday, Sept. 30, showcasing cars, FC programs, vendors, and entertainment.

On a day that began with a drizzle and a forecasted chance of rain, Fullerton College gathered community members for a morning filled with classic cars, food, and entertainment at the Inaugural “Cruisin’ to College” car show.

There were approximately 30 cars, a strong turnout despite some car clubs canceling because of the weather, shared Rolando Sanabria, creator of the event and Fullerton College Faculty Coordinator for the High School Outreach Office.

Many of the participants had their setups ready half an hour before the start time of the car show and others trickled in throughout the morning.

Ronette Johnson

Messi Burgers and Guac ‘n Roll Tacos food trucks were set up from the start, providing a variety of menu items, including vegan options by Guac ‘n Roll Tacos.

Garden Grove’s very own DJ Alan played an upbeat set of top pop hits during the event. Record Label Thump Records had a truck with their merchandised CDs and t-shirts and played a set of oldies at noon. Made by Berli also had a booth, selling handmade earrings and custom cups.

Hornet programs had booths up and ready to give flyers and information to community members at the event. At one of the booths was Psychology Department Coordinator and Psychology Club advisor Jeanna Wolfe, who was sharing information on the club and psychology department and had their DeLorean in the lineup of cars for all to see.

Also having their cars on display, the FC Automotive Technology Department, had two highlight vehicles from alumni. At their resource booth, automotive instructor John Farley and auto shop coordinator David Diaz shared information on the different certificates that are offered through their program to attendees who stopped by. They also had roadside safety kits, put together by CARE, ready to be handed out.

Jake Shaffer, Fullerton College Automotive graduate, was at the car show, featuring a 2008 335-I BMW. Shaffer was an automotive student approximately eight years ago, and obtained his first job in the industry with the program’s assistance.

Shaffer is now at Stryker Performance, a shop he started up along with his two business partners, one of which is also an alumni, three years ago. All three business partners are part of the advisory board for the college’s automotive program.

Shaffer and his business partner, Preston Huff, spoke to automotive students who approached them during the car show.

“If you just stick with it, you can make it happen,” said Shaffer. “Listen to anything Farley says because he’s a wizard.”

Richard Wilk, from Rowland Heights, is one car owner who brought his yellow-body, 1956 Ford F100 pickup truck, which has gone through three complete remodels and was featured in the Jan. ’02 issue of Truckin Magazine. Wilk heard about “Cruisin’ to College” at a previous car show, where flyers were passed out. He has also participated in car shows at Fullerton Union High School but first got into the car show scene back in 1985.

Aside from the yellow body and brown interior, the ‘56 F-100’s rare, big rear window were a treat to see. Wilk has received 91 trophies for his truck and left the event with the “Best Car in Show” award. His truck will be featured on next year’s Cruisin’ to College Car Show flyer.

“I come to the car show because of the people that are in the car show,” said Wilk. “That’s the car show.”

Kim Snow, from Riverside, California, brought his 2016 Dodge Charger to the car show and had his hood propped open, revealing a spooky setup with a variety of skeletons.

Snow said the setup began four years ago for a “Trunk or Treat” he participated in. He has a busy October this year, with events all month-long featuring his Charger and skeleton team.

Mike Acierno heard about the event through his son who does maintenance at Fullerton College and was part of the car show as well. Mike brought his rusted, 1931 Ford Patina Model A that he has owned for a few months. His car was modified with a mega Jack Daniels whisky bottle on the front-side of the car as well as a Hot Wheels logo on the driver side. As for the interior, it was close to its original make with its distinct leather seats and over-sized metal steering wheel.

“It’s a lot of American muscle, and it’s really nice,” said Fullerton College welding student Richard Lopez. Lopez learned about the car show through flyers on campus and showed up on Saturday with his friends.

Art students also joined the car show after their professor moved class outside. Some art students were by the parking lot, sketching participating cars.

Fullerton College President Cynthia Olivo assisted Sanabria with the presentation of the car show awards. Olivo awarded the “President’s Award” to the owner of a white Malibu Chevelle, having been captivated by its classic, clean, lowrider look.

Among the winners of the car show awards was Fullerton College Division Office Manager for Student Support Services Rachel Roschel who received “Best Classic Car” for her stunning green Mustang.

A breakdance group performed after the presentation of awards, followed by a ballet folklorico group.

The “Cruisin’ to College” car show was a major success to the community, bringing different people together through the love of cars.

“When you think of a car meet, you think of all different kinds of cars, and I think that represents our community which is very diverse,” said Sanabria.