Major Declaration Day sets students’ paths

Major Declaration Day at Fullerton College helped many Hornets to set their futures as students and professionals.
Dylan Arreola
Students are given an opportunity to explore the different academic routes offered to them at Major Declaration Day at Fullerton College on Tuesday, March 19.

For many students, picking a major might not be the easiest choice, and going to meet with a counselor can sometimes be overwhelming. In hopes to counteract that stress, the Fullerton College Counseling Department brought their guidance to the quad on Tuesday, March 19 for Major Declaration Day in order to reach students that need help in setting their educational paths.

The department brought with it easier access to counselors, support services, and faculty from various academic majors.

“I was considering declaring a major and that’s what I did,” said former computer science major Dakota Nelson.

Coming from the University of Hawaii, Nelson came to campus unsure about whether or not he was going to change his major. He said that thanks to the guidance of the counselors, he was able to figure out that the best route for him was to change his major to history.

Students are given an opportunity to explore the different academic routes offered to them during Major Declaration Day at Fullerton College. (Dylan Arreola)

“Every year on Major Declaration Day, all the counselors come out and they meet with students on the quad, because we are really committed and want to meet students where they’re at,” said interim dean of counseling Flor Huerta.

The event was structured for students to easily navigate through various stations that were systematically placed, as Huerta explained. It began with a career assessment in which students with no major were able to take in order to help them pick one that suits their interest.

Next, students walked up to the north half of the quad where they were met by multiple faculty members and student leaders from various academic programs. Afterwards, they directed students to speak with academic counselors to create a new and updated education plan for the remainder of their time at Fullerton College.

Students then walked up the steps of the library entrance and were faced with a tall, black board covered in names of students new majors.

Sticky notes are put up by each student who declared a major at the event, with each sticky note flaunting their decided majors. (Dylan Arreola)

For some students, this event helped them find their new career path, and for others like pre-nursing major Blanca Gaona, it was an opportunity to take advantage of the student services that were available in the middle of the quad.

Gaona said that she came to the event in order to get credit for her attendance, but also left with more knowledge of the services provided by FC.

She said that she stumbled across The First Year Experience program while looking through the various booths, adding that this program, in her opinion, is one of the most important for students. “It is hard to start [college] and it kinda helps you out,” said Gaona.

Meanwhile, Gaona also came across the Fullerton College Food Bank during the event. She said she will now be using its services to help put food on the table for her and her two kids. “I am a single mom, and this helps the household in regards to food,” said Gaona.

Those who missed the opportunity to attend will have to wait another year as Major Declaration Day is an annual event. Students with questions or concerns about their progress can visit their counselors in the upper level of the 2000 building or can call at (714) 992-7084.