• The Hornet and Inside Fullerton are on summer break and will return on August 26, 2024. Please send any tips or inquiries to Jessica Langlois at [email protected].

Hornets dominate en route to state title appearance

Fullerton College explodes for seven runs in the first two innings to take down a potent San Joaquin Delta College team, setting themselves up for a shot at the state title.
Sophomore+pitcher+Ally+Fuentes+firing+a+pitch+towards+home+plate.+Fuentes+went+three+innings%2C+striking+out+two%2C+and+allowing+three+runs.+
Danielle Rivera
Sophomore pitcher Ally Fuentes firing a pitch towards home plate. Fuentes went three innings, striking out two, and allowing three runs.

After taking down all northern teams the first two days in San Jose, The Hornets had to face the number one north team in San Joaquin Delta College, that had defeated all southern teams the first two days. Fullerton proved the strength of SoCal, as they steam rolled their way to the championship round, winning by a score of 12-3.

Fullerton (43-5) started off hot as they were the visiting team for the first time in the tournament. They took advantage of that, and put up three runs in the top of the first. Sophomore second baseman Jordan Elias got things going as she lined a ball right down the third base line to earn herself a triple, immediately putting herself in scoring position.

After a groundout by sophomore outfielder Haley Garcia, freshman first baseman Veronica Moore stepped up to the plate. Moore, with a historical year which led her to breaking the all-time RBI record in the OEC conference, came through as she hit an RBI single right up the middle to score Elias.

The offense continued to stay hot as sophomore outfielder Alyssa Garcia reached on fielder’s choice to second base which advanced Moore to second.

Sophomore Jordan Elias looking to get the offense going for the Hornets and that she did on May 18, 2024. (Danielle Rivera)

Freshman utility player Jianna Lopez was due up next and came up huge for the Hornets, singling home Moore and advancing Garcia. Sophomore outfielder Coco Siono grounded out, but it was a productive groundout as Garcia was able to score, putting the Hornets up three after just one inning.

In the circle for the Hornets was All-American sophomore pitcher Allyson Fuentes who faced the Mustangs best hitter in Caitlynn Campbell, who before this at bat, had launched 17 home runs this season.

Campbell added to her total by taking Fuentes deep, showing Fullerton they were not going to back down.

After the homer, Fuentes allowed back-to-back singles, but found a way to settle in, allowing no further damage in the inning.

The Hornets responded back, adding four more runs in the top of the 2nd inning, putting them up 7-1 in the span of just two innings. Freshman outfielder Milene Mendoza doubled to start the inning off.

With one out Elias was able to reach first on an error by the pitcher. Moore came through once again, doubling home both Mendoza and Elias, making the score 5-1. Moore continued to make a name for herself in Hornet history.

Freshman outfielder Milene Mendoza shows off her speed and athleticism by making an impressive sliding catch to stop the Mustangs from gaining any momentum on Saturday May 18, 2024. (Danielle Rivera)

The Hornets continued their small ball tactics as Garcia reached on a bunt that moved Moore to third. Lopez took a walk that loaded the bases up. Another huge miscue by the Mustangs allowed the Hornets to bring home two more runs adding to their already huge lead.

The Mustangs (40-5) showed no signs of quitting as they responded back, scoring two runs in the bottom of the third. The fifth and sixth innings were silent for both teams, as their defenses showed why they were each the best in the state.

Coming up to the final inning, the score increased to 10-3 in favor of Fullerton.

Not satisfied, the Hornets added two more runs to this game as Mendoza singled to right center to start it off for the Hornets. Sophomore shortstop Cassidy Hornung reached on a fielder’s choice to shortstop, as Mendoza was forced out at second base.

Elias reached on a fielder’s choice again to get Hornung out at second for out number two.

Yet another miscue, this time by the Mustangs shortstop, allowed both Garcia and Elias to be safe, which extended the inning. Player of the game, Moore continued to swing her hot bat, and singled deep into right field, scoring Garcia and Elias, giving Moore her fourth RBI of the day.

Freshman pitching phenom Macy Brandl took the circle for Fullerton in what would be her final inning of relief. She was tasked with taking down the top of the order for the Mustangs.

Brandl took the win in that at bat as Campbell fouled out to left getting out number one. The Hornets just two outs away from reaching one of their goals, a state championship appearance was ever so close for Fullerton.

Brandl forced another Mustang to foul out to right field, this time for out number two. Fans at this point got up on their feet as Brandl faced her last and final batter seeking the strikeout. And that’s exactly what Brandl did.

Fullerton fans chanted “Let’s go FC” as the team threw their gloves in the air, and celebrated on the field. The Hornets are heading to the state championship to take on their rivals in Cypress College.

The Hornets will have two chances to win one game and secure a state championship, the first one since 1980. First game is at noon on Sunday, May 19.