Fourth-year student Dylan Darrow And sophomore student Monica Son, discuss professor Noguera's lecture during their American ethnic studies class on Tuesday Sept. 10, 2024.
Fourth-year student Dylan Darrow And sophomore student Monica Son, discuss professor Noguera’s lecture during their American ethnic studies class on Tuesday Sept. 10, 2024.
Danny Diaz

The Influence of Ethnic Studies

Since it’s addition to CSU GE requirements in 2021, ethnic studies forever changes the way students learn.

Fullerton College’s ethnic studies department experienced a 48% increase in enrollment over the past three years due to new general education requirements at Cal State Universities, junior colleges, and high schools.

It started with the 2021 CSU GE requirement. Gov. Gavin Newsom accepted Assembly Bill No. 1460, which established a compulsory three-unit ethnic studies course. Area F on the CSU GE pattern highlights this new mandate, with students working to complete this requirement before transferring.

“It has meant that every one of our classes that meets Area F is always full and has a waitlist,” said ethnic studies department Chair and Professor Ziza Delgado Noguera. 

* This information is courtesy of Fullerton College’s Office of Institutional Effectiveness.

The fall 2024 data is still processing, as some ethnic studies courses haven’t begun yet. Daniel Berumen, the Director of Institutional Research & Planning, anticipates a greater number by the end of the semester.

“I think it’s an important class for everyone to take… It kind of helps you connect with other people, especially in the class,” said biology major Wyatt Hernandez, who is currently enrolled in American Ethnic Studies.

However, with an increase in students comes the responsibility of hiring new professors. Delgado Noguera praised the recent introduction of three full-time professors, which means that there are now five on the faculty. That being said, there’s still a demand for more faculty.

“We’ve been fortunate to get hires… and that’s been great,” said Delgado Noguera. “But even that hasn’t been enough to meet the need.”

Because the CSU GE requirement isn’t the only mandate hitting Fullerton College, other factors are also influencing enrollment. Community college students must also take a three-unit ethnic studies course due to a new associate degree requirement.

Delgado Noguera explained that while the mandate started in 2024, community colleges received an extension of implementation. She observed that even though the AA GE requirement won’t arrive at Fullerton College until fall 2025, this addition is already affecting enrollment. Fullerton College students are already preparing for the official implementation.

In addition, California high schools will also enact a GE requirement. Newsom signed Assembly Bill No. 101 in 2021. It mandated that high schoolers must take an ethnic studies course if they want to graduate. Nevertheless, the ethnic studies faculty at Fullerton College is already working to aid the students and teachers in time for the 2025 requirement.

Instructor Delgado Noguera and her students during their American Ethnic studies class on Tuesday Sept. 10, 2024. (Danny Diaz)

Delgado Noguera emphasized the importance of dual enrollment as an option for the high schools that don’t offer ethnic studies. Dual enrollment gives students the opportunity to fulfill an ethnic studies course at Fullerton College while attending high school.

Fullerton College’s Ethnic Studies for Educators Foundations Certificate is also a method of supporting this new requirement. Fullerton College’s “Certificates” page describes the program as a means to train high school teachers to better understand ethnic studies. This will allow them to learn about different communities and their histories. Furthermore, each student in the program will learn to design an ethnic studies class of their own. Students can use their newfound knowledge of the discipline to teach the high schoolers about ethnic studies.

“It’s really meant to be like a tool of support for the community,” said Delgado Noguera.

While Area F on the CSU GE pattern includes ethnic studies, it’s also on the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) as Area 7. Options include American Ethnic Studies (ETHS 101 F), Women of Color in the U.S. (ETHS 111 F), and Chicana/o and Latina/o Contemporary Issues (ETHS 153 F). All of these choices are under “Courses” on the ethnic studies website.

Eileen Villagran-Tapia, a child and adolescent development major, believes that the CSU requirement will help her outside of an academic setting. According to Villagran-Tapia, her time in American Ethnic Studies will benefit her in a career with children, where learning about their backgrounds is fundamental. To her, the CSU GE requirement represents a sense of understanding.

“I think it’s great. I think it’s important to educate, especially in this country we live in… I feel like it’s important to include everyone,” said Villagran-Tapia.