Serving the Fullerton Community Since 1922

The Hornet

  • The Hornet and Inside Fullerton are on summer break and will return on August 26, 2024. Please send any tips or inquiries to Jessica Langlois at [email protected].

The Hornet

Serving the Fullerton Community Since 1922

The Hornet

Hornets nab first victory


It was 95 degrees in Fullerton for the start of the season but both teams were energetic and ready to play. T-shirts of the Hornets players were soaked through with sweat just from pre-game drills. This did not stop the Hornets from coming out strong and capturing the first victory of the season 4-2 over Southwestern College.

The whistle blew and the action started. Fullerton had great passing and communication throughout the field. It only took two minutes before the Hornets had a shot on goal against the Jaguars.

Hornets defensive players and the goalie came out with great saves from the beginning.

Andres Muniz, freshman, had the first goal of the season for Fullerton College. It was a break away goal in the 9th minute.

“I knew it was coming,” said Muniz about his goal. He just wasn’t expecting for it to be so soon.

The team was sparked with enthusiasm and kept penetrating Southwestern defense to keep pressure on the goal. Tips shouted from the coaches and spectator comments from the stands helped the Hornets keep a sharp eye on what is happening all over the field.

It was not until the 26th minute in the match when Southwestern got their first goal. They tied up the score 1-1.

The referees officiating this match were not taking any slack; forcing Southwestern to sub players out or else they would be red carded.

The Hornets answered back with another goal in the 36th minute by number 9 to put Fullerton up 2-1 before the half. The 15-minute half was a much-needed break from the intense heat for both sides.

With a new boost of energy both teams came back onto the field with ferocity. Constant pressure and aggressive play had the ref’s making more forced subs before things got too heated.

A slip on defense caused Southwestern to score on its own goal putting the Hornets up 3-1 in the 50th minute.

The defense and goalkeeping were doing an outstanding job of not letting the Jaguars follow through their attempts on goal.

In the 71st minute Hornets scored to make it 4-1 from a shot by number 11 on the team. The Jaguars retaliated back in the 77th minute to make it 4-2.

In the end the Jaguars efforts fell short and the Hornets had their first victory of the season locked up.

Number 6 Marco Carrillo-Leon scored both goals for Southwestern.

Team coach Alex Perez was very pleased with his team’s performance.

“Working hard,” Perez said is most important at this moment. “Getting what to do in practice.”

Coach Perez said that once he is done completing his roster the main focus will be on winning conference.

Jonathan Negrete is the Hornets goalie and captain of the team. The many saves he made throughout the game contributed to the Hornets victory.

“23-0, that’s what we’re working on,” said Negrete. “Win it all!”

Hornets next match is Friday at Glendale at 7 p.m.

Leave a Comment

Comments (0)

All The Hornet Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *