Students shown the power of healing through art

IMG_3619.JPG
The Wilshire Auditorium hosted the event. Photo credit: Stephanie Gorman

“Brick Wall” brought together multiple artists to demonstrate the role art can play in providing emotional healing at the Wilshire Auditorium on Apr. 22.

“We live in a violent, violent society,” said Vanessa Miller, Health Services Director. “And our mission here today is to replace some of that violence with the beauty of art, to knock down those brick walls and to promote just a little bit of feeling for those of us who have been affected by the violence that permeates our society.”

Crystal Albert, a Health Services employee, played a huge roll in planning the event and in revamping it to be more student-focused.

“I love going to art galleries because I do feel a calmness, so for me I think it’s good to see how other people express that creativity as well, and help to inspire others,” said Albert.

The showcase emphasized conquering emotional or physical turmoils through artistic expression. One featured artist, Tagebeh “Maggie” Arooni, said painting for her is a form of relaxation and meditation.

IMG_3601.JPG

“When I am painting, I don’t think about anything,” Arooni said. “I don’t think about any problem, my brain is just off and I get very calm.”

She shared that her piece, titled “Time Passing,” represented her emotional distress when she considers how quickly time goes by, but the calm she feels when she allows herself to accept time as it is and continue her journey.

Brick Wall featured a variety of artistic expressions, including poetry readings, a short film and live musical performances by Fullerton College students and alumni.

The Jazz Trio, who opened the show, broke down their own walls as this was their first live performance in front of an audience.

The closing band, 3rd Stone, was made up of three men who started their group after meeting at Fullerton College.

“Brick Wall is set up to demonstrate how the process of creating art, through any medium, can be used to manipulate and enhance our well being,” said Jullean Cardenas, a peer health educator.

Brick Wall used to be a yearly event, but after a short hiatus, the Health Services Department hopes this new, more student-oriented event will be here to stay.

For more information about Student Health Services and their upcoming events, visit Health Services website.