May the odds be ever in your favor

When it comes to registering for classes, it is a battle field. Community college students today have a tough time gaining a seat in their classes, which makes furthering your college education extremely difficult.

“Last year, [registering] was hell,” said student Dalton Maffot. “That’s why I’m still taking pre-requisites on my third semester.”

However, there are the lucky few who have the luxury of enrolling in their classes with priority, meaning they are able to register the first day registration opens.

Registration works something like this, students who get priority registration will choose classes first, the next in line are students who have the most units completed and who are closest to graduate, and then it’s the new incoming freshmen students or newly registered students.

It can be a frustrating situation when you’re placed on the waiting list or when you see that the classes you need are closed, which is the reality for many.

“On the first day of Fall 2013 Semester there were 11,892 waitlist spots taken,” said Dean of Admissions Albert R. Abutin.

The best thing you can do in order to get an earlier registration date is to try to take as many courses that are worth the most credit and pass all of your classes. Therefore, when you start to accumulate more credits you will get an earlier registration date.

Another important thing to do before your registration date is set is to make sure that you have no holds on your record. Unpaid fees on classes or student health fees, or even late book fees will keep you from registering at your scheduled time and date.

For students who have priority registration on their side, it is a whole different story. Priority registration is one of the many benefits that are offered by Equal Opportunity Program and Services.

“The benefits of being part of EOPS is money for books, one on one with an Academic Counselor, and you meet with a Program Specialist,” said Christi O’ Daniel, the administrative assistant of EOPS.

EOPS requires you to be a full time student, currently receiving the Board of Governor’s Waiver, and have completed less than 30 units.

EOPS is only one of the programs on campus that offer priority registration for Fullerton College students. The other programs help students who are veterans, foster youth, and disabled students services.

But for many, especially wait listed students who have to sometimes stand for a complete class period until an instructor gives them an add code, if at all, priority registration is almost adding salt to the wound.

“It just seems like priority registration is now being taken advantage of rather than used for what it was originally created for,” said English major Natalie Genn.

New changes are underway. A California Community College Chancellor’s Office press release highlights changes being made to priority registration.

A new regulation approved in September 2012 plans to prioritize classes for students serious about job-training, transferring to a four-year university, and planning to get degree.

In addition, new students who have completed orientation, have educational plans, and with good academic standing will receive priority enrollment over students who have not completed these requirements.

“Students who have accumulated 100 or more units – excluding most basic skills English and math and English as a Second Language classes by fall 2014 will lose priority enrollment,” said Vice Chancellor for Student Services & Special Programs Linda Michalowski.

These changes will be taking place in the Fall
2014 semester.