Ranked and serious

20130918_184419.jpg
The victorious Lady Hornet's set their rotation during the 3rd and final set.

The Fullerton College Women’s Volleyball team stormed to a 3-0 sweep (29-27, 25-21, 25-15) over the No. 14 ranked Citrus College Owls.

The California Community College Women’s Volleyball Coaches Association had the Lady Hornets ranked at No. 21. However, the Lady Hornets seemingly wanted to prove to everyone that they are better than advertised. With this impressive win, they improved to 4-0 on the season while dropping the Owls to 3-3.

The Lady Hornets took the first set in thrilling fashion by the score of 29-27. After getting off to a hot start at 11-1, the Lady Hornets allowed the Owls to make it a contest, tying the score 21-21 after a much needed time-out.

“On the side-change we talked about what were doing well in the game instead of thinking that we let them back in and when it was tight, how we really earned those points,” said Coach Eddie Rapp.

The Owls would prove challenging to the Lady Hornets again; at one point even taking a lead, 24-23. However, that would be their only lead in the set as the Lady Hornets came out on top in the ensuing rallies.

“There isn’t a better experience than figuring out that you can’t give a good team a 10 point lead and expect to win,” said Owl’s Coach Shin Jung of their play.

“When we lost that lead, it was time to take things one step at a time,” said sophomore Madalene Barrett, who proved to be the voice of reason. “We know if you mess up once, you just turn to your teammate and tell them to shake it off.”

In the second game, the Lady Hornets found the Owls battered, but not down as the contest found itself at 10-9 in favor of the Fullerton. After the ensuing time-out with the score knotted at 20-19, the Lady Hornets would score once again but this time on a controversial line call that didn’t sit well with the Owls.

Controversial or not, it would prove meaningless as the Lady Hornets stuck with their game plan. On the next play, Fullerton’s Barrett and freshman Paige Simpson came together for huge block. It would prompt a 4-0 run to secure the game.

Alanna Hayhurst, freshman outside hitter, and sophomore libero Celeste Snider; , also played a big role in the 25-21 outcome. Both players showed off their skill sets displaying numerous kills and digs.

The third and final match exhibited the Lady Hornet’s talents as they marched towards a 25-15 demolition of the Owls.

“We tried some different lineups and rotations and saw some good energy from players competing for spots,” said Rapp. “We’ll use this as a learning experience and build on that.”

After such a convincing win, the Lady Hornet’s still feel they have a lot to prove against the more than challenging Orange Empire Conference. The conference has No. 3 Irvine Valley, No. 9 Golden West, No. 11 Orange Coast, and No. 15 Cypress all ranked ahead of them in the CCCWVCA Rankings.

“It felt really good, because we are ranked No. 21 and to beat this team it proved that we have gotten better from last year,” said Barrett. “We’re a force to be reckoned with in conference, and no one should look past us because we handle our business.”

The team now travels to Santa Barbara on Friday for the Santa Barbara Quad Tournament. Once there, they will face Ventura, Santa Barbara, and Santa Monica City colleges in a span of 18 hours.