• The Hornet and Inside Fullerton are on summer break and will return on August 26, 2024. Please send any tips or inquiries to Jessica Langlois at [email protected].

FC students have lower requirements for CSUF admissions

CSU’s and UCs encouraged hopeful Fullerton College transfer students to apply to their university during the 2015 Transfer Awareness Week by providing helpful information and requirements needed to attend.

Fullerton College
Fullerton College logo Photo credit: campussafety.fullcoll.edu

With over 100 years of transfer experience, FC consistently ranks among the state’s best transfer institutions, according to the FC transfer website.

The 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. college fair brought more than 20 schools to speak directly to students. Each had informational forms for students if they wanted to take campus tours or schedule a meeting with an Outreach counselor.

Ruben, a first-time CSU Fullerton transfer representative, answered students’ questions throughout the day. As a graduate of FC, Ruben has a love for the campus. His psychology teachers at FC gave him his passion for his psych and business degrees at CSUF.

“It took me 10 years to go back to school, but Fullerton College was so helpful [in choosing a major] and I live near by that proximity made it easier to choose to attend Cal State Fullerton next.”

CSUF
Cal State Fullerton logo

CSUF had three booths at the fair that included representation for general education, STEM, and business and economics.

He confirmed that FC is a feeder school for CSUF. This means a high number of FC students transfer to CSUF, and this strategy offers several benefits.

CSUF has lowered requirements for FC students to attend. For example, the average grade point average required for an out-of-area transfer applicant is at least a 3.25. However, GPAs as low as a 2.2-2.7 can be accepted based on the student’s proximity to CSUF, according the campus pamphlet and website.

Cal State Fullerton
CSUF orange tree logo Photo credit: nsm.fullerton.edu

CSUF receives more applications every year, and broke their previous record with a combined 63,000 applicants of high school and upper-division transfers in 2014.

Ruben said all Orange County community colleges are counted as feeder schools. This includes FC’s sister school Cypress College and colleges as far as Irvine Valley College and Saddleback College. These OC colleges receive a slight advantage in admissions acceptance.

An automatic acceptance email is sent to students that surpass the basic admission criteria, such as a 3.8 GPA and an automatic denial email if the student has a 2.19 GPA or lower. Personnel then go through all applications after the application deadline, Nov. 30 for CSUs and UCs.

Highly impacted campuses, like UC and CSU San Diego and CSU Long Beach, have more critical acceptance requirements, such as a 3.5 GPA and above, as well as a greater tuition cost.

Although these campuses are impacted, they were some of the most popular booths at the College Fair. CSU Dominguez Hills is one of the only non-impacted campuses represented at the fair.

Cailin, a CSU Dominguez Hills representative gave some history and information of her campus.

CSUDH
Cal State University Dominguez Hills Photo credit: csugh.edu

The school is celebrating the 50th year anniversary of the Watts Rebellion, the Los Angeles riots around their town. She said there are over 90,000 alumni of CSUDH and most still live in the area. Cost is lower than other CSUs with an average of $3,100 over a fall or spring semester.

CSUDH
Cal State University Dominguez Hills Photo credit: csumentor.edu

Because Dominguez Hills is not impacted, their acceptance is high. Required GPA for transfer applicants is 2.0 or higher and students need only 60 semester units (90 quarter units) and their Golden Four courses. The campus is growing their STEM programs and hopes to include an engineering program in the future.

The Cadena Transfer Center can answer any questions students may have and how to schedule appointments with CSUs or UCs when they are on campus.

Transfer Center
Fullerton College Transfer Center is open late and one Saturday a month. Photo credit: fullcoll.edu