Hornet’s fresh start to finding success

Head coach Perry Webster looks to turn around a struggling men’s basketball program, which is only 10 years removed from a 37-0 season and put it back on track to success.

Fullerton won only four game last season and the administration knew a change was needed and Webster was that change. Webster, 26, is one of the youngest coaches at the community college basketball ranks, but don’t let the inexperience fool you.

Webster traveled the path that many Fullerton College student-athlete strive for. He started at Saddleback College before transferring to Cal State Fullerton to complete his degree. He returned to Saddleback where he has been a assistant coach until accepting the job of taking over the men’s basketball team at Fullerton College.

Webster didn’t wait long to make an impact on the program by recruiting virtually, a whole new team. Only two Hornet players returned from last year’s team and look for a complete turnaround with the new team. The Hornets look to change the program back to what fans expect from the men’s basketball team and put the four win season last year behind them.

“This program and administration is set up for success. I don’t like to put expectations of wins and losses, but our team will play hard and we will be competitive,” said Webster. “We are not worried about last year, we are looking forward to showing everyone what we have to offer.”

A holdover from last year’s team is sophomore forward Isaiah Clark who decided to stay despite interest from other schools and looks to help the team improve.

“This year’s team has bought into the system which wasn’t what happened last year and that will help us, hopefully win more games than last year,” said Clark. “I gotta come in and play hard and get rebounds.”

A newcomer to the program is sophomore guard Blake McBride. McBride is coming to play for the Hornets after a year at Bryant University in Rhode Island. Like Clark, he turned down interest from other schools for a chance to play for Webster.

“Coach told me he was going to push me like I haven’t been pushed before and get the best out of me, and he’s done a good job so far,” said McBride. “I am looking to help the team win, and refine my skills to show I belong on the highest level.”

The new coach and influx of talented players hasn’t gone unnoticed. The CCCAA released their preseason polls which saw the Hornets ranked #14 in the South Region after being unranked for most of last season.

Fullerton started their season over the weekend in the Cuesta Tournament. The Hornets come back with a 2-1 record after a disappointing loss to host Cuesta College.

The Hornets now set their focus on the Fullerton College Classic which is held on campus Nov. 11-14 from 9 a.m to 11 p.m. Fullerton opens up at 7:30 p.m. against Los Angeles Southwest College.