Hawks bite down on the Hornets once again

The Hornets were outnumber by the Hawks when Fullerton fell 6-0 in their first

attack
Tatsiana Loscutoff slide tackling the crossover against the opposing team. Photo credit: Joshua Miranda

league game against Santiago Canyon on Tuesday at Fullerton’s home field.

The number of fresh legs were limited and played a dramatic impact when it came to Fullerton’s lineup.

Santiago played with 25 players on their roster as oppose to Fullerton having 13 players.

Fullerton’s new goalie, Sophomore Kennedy Heywood, had 14 saves but fell short 2 goals in the first half and 4 goals in the second.

The Hornets (1-2, 0-1) played defensively throughout both halves of the game but held their ground when it came to handling the physicality from the Santiago Hawks.

The Hawks had several leading scorers with the first goal in the 10th minute of the game and an assist in the 49th minute from Freshman Jenny Ramirez.

Freshman Caitie Dolan of the Hawks had her first assist of the game at the 80th minute followed by last goal of the game at the 90th minute wrapping up a devastating loss for the Hornets.

Sophomore forward, Emily Valdez, said that covering; specifically more zonal than man-to-man was a big issue for her team.

“We played harder in the first half, but had trouble connecting to the forwards throughout the whole game,” said Valdez.

“Well battled,” is how head coach Pamela Lewin summarized the game as opponent Santiago carried possession on the ball throughout most of the match.

defense
Marlena Carrillo trying to keep the ball away from the opposing team. Photo credit: Joshua Miranda

“We were able to create chances on a team that has a good system of players,” said Lewin.

Still getting used to the new system that coach Lewin has for the Hornets, she is happy with the outcome and how hard her team has pushed to work together.

Positivity has always been in the mind of coach Lewin as she spreads her advice to her team to move forward from this loss.

By learning from past mistakes and fixing small technical issues, the Hornets will be able to pick themselves up and dust themselves off for their future games.

Catch the Hornets this Friday at home as they go against Cypress at 3pm.