Hornets swarm Eagles in final scrimmage before season

Fullerton won their final scrimmage against Mt. San Jacinto, 75-65, during an unusually warm October evening. The Hornets were filled with excitement and energy as the team went sky-walking before slamming dunk after dunk during team warm-ups.

During thursday night home scrimmage sophmore Javon Jones drives the ball into the key looking for that underbasket jumpshot only to be met by Mt. San Jacinto opponet from the inside.
During the Thursday Oct. 20 home scrimmage game, sophomore Javon Jones drives the ball into the key looking for a jump shot only to be met by Mt. San Jacinto opponent from the inside. Photo credit: Aaliyah Skipper

Hornets head coach Perry Webster was happiest about the performances from freshmen center Mason Vanbeenen, freshman forward Jackson Hopps, and sophomore guard Javon Jones. “It was good to see Vanbeenen do some positive things. I thought Jackson Hopps really went and rebounded the ball well, along with Javon Jones” said Webster of the Hornet’s new addition players and Jones, who is returning for his second campaign with the Hornets.

The main focus of a scrimmage is usually not the final score. The purpose of a scrimmage is to see how players will perform in a game setting against different opponents and try to get a feel for who will serve which role on the team.

Follwing a two on two fast break, sophmore Javon Jones splits the defense, finding that opening to finish with a layup, putting on a 2 point progression for the Horent during Thurday's home scrimmage.
Following a two-on-two fast break, sophomore Javon Jones splits the defense, finding the opening to finish with a layup, putting on a 2-point progression for the Hornets during the Thursday, Oct. 20 home scrimmage. Photo credit: Aaliyah Skipper

“Those guys [Vanbeenen, Hopps, Jones] are trying to find their niche and their roles within the team and I thought all of them did a pretty good job of going after the ball hard and trying to get us extra possessions. So, with that I was pleased,” said Webster.

The Hornet’s gameplay was far from perfect. Webster made it clear that the Hornets are not quite where they need to be heading into the beginning stages of their schedule, “I do still think there are a lot of things we need to clean up that are concerning. I think we turn the ball over too much, I don’t think we’re finishing well enough in the paint, and defensively we’re getting lost from time to time,” Webster said.

Hornet sophmore Sean Newman Jr. comes between his opponet and the basket seeking a clean block agianst Mt. San Jacinto Thursday night at Fullerton's  basketball home scrimmage.
Hornet sophomore Sean Newman Jr. comes between his opponent and the basket seeking a clean block against Mt. San Jacinto during the Thursday, Oct. 20 game at Fullerton's basketball home scrimmage. Photo credit: Aaliyah Skipper

Sophomore guard Kobe Newton missed the practice game due to injury, which was mainly precautionary.

The Hornets have a few more practices left before they embark on a long journey, and as Webster perfectly put it, “It’s time now. It’s the real thing.”

The preseason ranked number one Hornets first game is on the road against number eight LA Trade Tech on Tuesday, Nov. 1, at 7 p.m.

About the Contributor
Jake Rhodes, Editor-in-Chief
Jake Rhodes is the Editor-in-Chief for The Hornet Newspaper. He has been on The Hornet Newspaper for four semesters. He is a seven-time award winning journalist. He has received second place in Sports Game Story as well as Meritorious recognition in Enterprise News Story/Series for an investigation into Title IX concerns at Fullerton College from JACC. Jake is also a national CMA Pinnacle award winner, receiving first place in Sports Multimedia Story, second place in Sports Investigative Story, and Honorable Mention for Sports Game Story. He has also received an honorable mention as producer of Around the Hornet for Audio Podcast and a third place finish as a contributor for Audio Podcast from JACC. While he has served as EIC, Jake is responsible for The Hornet securing an ACP Online Pacemaker award, which has been referred to as the "Pulitzer of college media." The Hornet has also been recognized for "General Excellence: Online News Site" by JACC in both semesters Jake has served as EIC. He was also elected to be the new JACC SoCal Student Representative for all JACC members in Southern California for 2024-2025. Outside of The Hornet, Jake is an assistant coach with the Varsity Boys' basketball team at Fullerton Union High School and is also a bartender at Lucille's Smokehouse BBQ. His end goal in Journalism is to be a beat writer for an MLB or NBA team or a sportscaster. Jake enjoys spending time with his wife Alexis, daughters Samantha, Madison, and dog Cocoa.