Photo Essay: Little Monster Mash, a family smash

Fullerton College welcomes CARE, CalWorks, FYSI & Rising Scholars families to its second annual Halloween event in Cruz Reynoso Hall.
Ronette Johnson
Children smile for the camera, courtesy of Novasky Photography. It’s in the hands of the “Hulk” during the Little Monster Mash on Friday, Oct. 13.

It was a fun fright night for families. Kids and their grown-ups were greeted with spooktacular smiles from Delores Conejo and Beatriz Resendiz, coordinators for Fullerton College’s EOPS and FYSI programs. The children were treated to their choice of available candy bars, a Halloween stamp page, a trick-or-treat bag, and a handful of small candies. From there, families walked into a carnival filled with booths manned by Fullerton College CARE, Calworks, FYSI & Rising Scholars volunteers which featured games, fun, candy, costumes, photos, and most of all, food.

According to Resendiz, the original inspiration for the event was to provide families with a trick-or-treating alternative during the pandemic. “What we did was we put up pop up tents and we decorated the booths and all the staff got dressed up and we did a drive-through during COVID,” she said. The event was a success, and is back this year for an encore presentation that may well become a Halloween tradition for many families.