Adopt-An-Angel brings the season of giving to Fullerton College

CARE, CalWORKS, FYSI and Rising Scholars invites the community to enjoy the spirit of giving by donating much needed toys, clothing, and more.
Sara Leon
FC CARE, CalWORKS, FYSI and Rising Scholars presents the 27th Adopt-An-Angel event on Saturday, Dec. 9.

The Fullerton College CARE/CalWORKs/FYSI/Rising Scholars programs are celebrating their 27th year of the Adopt-An-Angel holiday event this coming December. The FC Cafeteria will be transformed into a winter wonderland on Saturday, Dec. 9 as they gear up for another year of festive fun and holiday spirit.

“It is a program that provides holiday support for our student parents and their families,” says Mayra Novasky, counselor for the Fullerton College CalWORKS program.

Guests can look forward to delicious food, from savory appetizers to delectable desserts. The lively sounds of upbeat music will keep everyone tapping their toes and dancing the night away.

“We create a wish list for these children,” said Novasky. “And the children have three items that they put on their wish list. And the amount for each gift from a donor would be $40 per item in the wish list. Our donors are gracious and provide two of the three gifts on each child’s wish list.”

For those looking for some extra excitement, there will be a variety of entertainment options to choose from, including games and activities for kids and adults alike. But perhaps the highlight of the evening will be the chance to snap a photo with Santa Claus himself, as he hands out special gifts from those that donated.

Graphic by Ronette Johnson

“So, for the student parents, they also provide three wish list items. They are the value of $50 or below. They get one item from the donor,” said Fullerton College FYSI & CalWORKs coordinator Beatriz Resendiz.

According to Resendiz and Novasky, they are in need of donor support. They have put the word out for adopting an angel on their social media pages as well as via word of mouth.

“I think we have close to 72 kids. So, like 72 student parents that registered,” said Resendiz.

This program is on its way to reaching enough donations, but still currently falls short of having enough for each “angel” to be adopted.

“This year, it was kind of my mission to reach out to community members for Adopt-An-Angel. That would be our donors, our staff, faculty, community members this year,” said Novasky. “And we’re struggling this year to get everybody adopted. So right now, we still have like 46.”

If you would like to make a donation for those in need, you can find the sign up link here. Donors have until Dec. 1 to donate presents to student parents and children.

Fullerton College CalWORKs counselor Amy Moreno said, “I’ve been here 23 years. I was a CalWORK student, so my kids went through the whole Adopt-An-Angel. It’s just a great tradition for our students and it’s very helpful.”