Hornets hold off Renegades in thrilling fashion

Fullerton College walks it off in a back and forth battle against Bakersfield College by way of a 10th inning throwing error.
Hornets+sophomore+Trevor+Schmidt+timing+up+Renegades+freshman+southpaw+pitcher+Jayce+Moore+to+see+if+he+can+attempt+to+steal+a+base+on+February+29%2C+2024.++
Danielle Rivera
Hornets sophomore Trevor Schmidt timing up Renegades freshman southpaw pitcher Jayce Moore to see if he can attempt to steal a base on February 29, 2024.

An extra inning was needed on Leap Day as Fullerton College barely beat a struggling Bakersfield College 9-8 in 10 innings Thursday at home.

The win came on the very last play of the game, when Bakersfield freshman shortstop Dadjael Salcedo tried to turn a double play, but threw it over the first baseman’s head and out of play to give the Hornets a walk-off win.

“We got very lucky winning the game,” said Hornets manager Chad Baum. “That was a routine double play.”

In the extra inning, freshman center fielder Wybrand Barron hit a ball to Salcedo and dashed to first safely before the throw made it in time. Renegades freshman relief pitcher Andres Rivera (1-2) walked the next batter allowing Barron to score from the untimely error from Salcedo.

Barron’s performance was a much-needed spark for the Hornets after the home team suffered an injury in the sixth inning at Hornets Field. Rising star freshman outfielder Dillon Anderson swung at a high inside fastball from the Renegades freshman left-handed relief pitcher Jayce Moore that struck him in the upper body. Anderson stepped out of the batter’s box and stood motionless visibly in pain until medical personnel assisted him off the field.

“I’m assuming that he’s pretty banged up, it doesn’t look good,” said Baum on Anderson’s status. “He’ll see the doctor on Monday.”

Anderson’s aggressive at-bat came from a rally the Renegades were putting together. Despite the Hornets (11-6) scoring three runs in the second inning and having the lead for majority of the game, Bakersfield College outplayed Fullerton in the middle innings.

Sophomore Andrew Carren stepping to the mound in the bottom of the 8th inning for sophomore Ryan Franson on February 29, 2024. (Danielle Rivera)

The Renegades scored two runs each in the fifth and sixth innings. By the seventh inning, what was once a 4-0 lead turned to a 8-7 game in favor of the Renegades.

“It’s a great momentum game and they just did a better job today of doing that in the middle innings with the three innings scoring back-to-back-to-back,” said Baum on Bakersfield’s resurgence.

Anderson wasn’t the only Hornet having a combative approach to the plate. Freshman first baseman Trevor Schmidt went 3-5 with three RBI’s, reaching base safely four times. The former Arizona Wildcat continues to prove his importance to the team’s offensive motor.

“I had a different approach to more of the middle and I was seeing heavy fastball today,” said Schmidt. “So, my first three at bats, I was able to get that pitch and I was able to get my hands extended.”

Baum went to his closer much earlier than anticipated after losing the lead. Sophomore Ryan Franson held the Renegades scoreless for three innings before extra innings began where he allowed three hits. Baum said the premature decision to put Franson in came in part from “the wheels on the bus were falling.”

Sophomore reliever Ryan Franson coming off the mound with a lot of emotion struggling to close the door for his team 0n February 29, 2024. (Danielle Rivera)

The solid effort from Franson allowed sophomore relief pitcher Andrew Carren (2-1) to come in and earn his second win of the season.

“I just came in and did my job, which is what we go over every day about doing your job,” said Carren. “I don’t care who’s hitting. I just throw it where it’s called.

Although the win was an important one and showed the Hornets abilities to scratch and claw their way back into any game, Baum was displeased with the team’s performance.

“We pride ourselves in doing good fundamental baseball and that was a bad example of it,” said Baum. “I’m not very happy. If we lose and we play fundamentally sound baseball, I’ll always be happy because that’s part of the process.”

The Hornets carry a four-game winning streak into their next matchup with the Renegades (2-12) Friday afternoon starting at 2 p.m. in Bakersfield. Baum reiterated the importance of disciplined baseball for his team with the upcoming schedule.

“Our conference is unlike any other conference of all the JC sports in Southern California,” said Baum. “It’s big boy baseball and if we play like that, we’re going to get stomped.”