Alumnus and author Rafael Agustin shares his experiences being undocumented

As Fullerton College begins Undocumented Student Action Week, Hornets gathered in the Wilshire Auditorium for a discussion on this year’s recognized book on campus.
Jose Vazquez
Rafael Agustin meets students at his book signing on Oct. 16, 2023.

If there is someone who understands the importance of creating belonging for undocumented students, it is author, television writer, and Fullerton College alumnus Rafael Agustin.

Agustin visited FC for a book signing and discussion about his book “Illegally Yours” at Wilshire Auditorium on Monday, Oct. 16, as part of a series of events for Undocumented Student Action Week.

Agustin’s conversation transported attendees into the early years of his life and into his college career. He told a multitude of stories, ranging from when he learned that he didn’t have a social security number, to not being allowed to get a driver’s license. Lastly, he spoke on the emotions he felt when he not only received his UCLA acceptance letter, but also when his permanent residency request was accepted.

All throughout his journey, Agustin struggled with encompassing a sense of belonging in the spaces he was invited into. This was true for Agustin in college and even in the writers’ room for the award-winning show “Jane the Virgin.”

“I know I belong here and not just because they put my name on the flyer. I belong here because my story matters,” said Agustin. “I’m here to tell you that your story matters too.”

Rafael Agustin’s books displayed at Evening with Rafael Agustin. (Jose Vazquez)

“Illegally Yours” is a memoir on Agustin’s life struggles as an undocumented student from Ecuador, an experience some first-generation Hornets can identify with, and his journey to success.

The book is the 2023-2024 One Book, One College selected read for Fullerton College.

Hornets who attended the discussion included students in the Puente Program. These students read Agustin’s book as an assignment by their Puente instructors, but ended up enjoying and identifying with his anecdotes in the book.

“I just related to him a lot when he was talking about how he didn’t feel he was in the right place,” said Puente member Andrea Monroy. “It just feels nice knowing that you have people here that have a similar story.”

Andrea Sadek, Projects Lead for Grads to Be and member of the One Book, One College committee, was the night’s moderator and supported the discussion by prompting Agustin with thought-provoking questions.

“‘Illegally Yours’ focuses on the undocumented student experience, which Grads to Be does,” said Sadek. “I’ve always connected so much to his story, and I really wanted that opportunity to connect with him and have that conversation in front of a larger audience.”

Rafael Agustin and Andrea Sadek speak at the Evening with Rafael Agustin event. (Jose Vazquez)

It was important to the One Book, One College committee to have proper representation of the undocumented student experience at the discussion.

Sadek began being intentional about sharing her immigration status once she started her work with Fullerton College, making sure to state it in most of her presentations because it is something she did not have the luxury of sharing in the past. She wants others with similar experiences to know that they are not alone.

“If you would have asked me eight years ago, I would have never wanted that shared out,” said Sadek.

First Year Experience, along with Grads to Be, Puente, Guided Pathways, and the Fullerton College library have all collaborated for the One Book, One College events, including the discussion with Agustin.

“I think it’s really special for students to see an individual who graduated from Fullerton College who’s very successful and just be able to come and talk about his experiences and in a very real and authentic way,” said First Year Experience coordinator Kim Vandervort.

Julio Reyes Cavezas, Andrea Sadek, Rafael Agustin, Connie Moreno Yamashiro, and Nicole Swayne at Evening with Rafael Augustin. (Jose Vazquez)

Free “I Support UndocuHornets and Students in Mixed-Status Families” T-shirts and copies of his book were given to attendees.

“This is a campus-wide perpetual commitment to building an environment where students feel like they’re loved, that they’re empowered, that they belong, and they’re deserving of all of this,” said Sadek.

“Dream big, put in the effort, and don’t put limits on what you can imagine for yourselves,” said Agustin. “Because as my mom once said, ‘Dreams do not have borders.’”